Wake up the sleepyheads in your household with this moist, tender coffee cake that’s both sweet and savory. Bacon and nuts in the crumbly topping blend with flavors of maple, nutmeg and cinnamon. Yum! —Angela Spengler, Clovis, New Mexico
Featured In: Sweet Treats with Bacon
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 5 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Set aside 1/2 cup for topping. Combine the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg; stir into remaining flour mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk, syrup and applesauce until well blended. Gradually stir into flour mixture until combined.
- Spread into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with reserved topping, then bacon and walnuts. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 24 servings.
Originally published as Maple-Walnut Coffee Cake in Healthy Cooking December/January 2012, p31
Reviews forMaple Bacon Walnut Coffee Cake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review