Maple-Bacon Grits Puff Recipe
Bacon and maple add salty sweetness to a grits dish that puffs, tastes yummy and is beautiful to look at. — Lotte Washburn, Sebring, Florida
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour YIELD:8 servings
- 8 bacon strips, chopped
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- Minced fresh chives, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings.
- 2. In a large saucepan, bring milk, water and salt to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, 5-7 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in maple syrup, half of the cooked bacon and reserved drippings.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot grits into eggs until blended; return all to pan, mixing well. Transfer to a greased 8-in.-square baking dish.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, 1 hour or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining bacon and, if desired, chives; let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 247 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 121 mg cholesterol, 377 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC