Maple Apple Topping
I discovered this sweet topping when I had an abundance of apples to use up. It's a great alternative to bottled syrup. My family enjoys the tender apples and crunchy nuts over waffles, but the topping is also wonderful over sliced of pound cake or scoops of vanilla ice cream.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3 large tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1-1/2 cups maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- In a large skillet, melt butter. add the apples, syrup and cinnamon.
- Cook and stir over medium-low heat until apples are tender. Stir in
- nuts. Serve over waffles or pancakes. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 338 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 121 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.