Maple-Apple Baked Beans Recipe
This is an old French-Canadian recipe. We use pure maple syrup, but it's the apple slices that make this my favorite recipe for baked beans.
- 4 cups dried navy beans
- 10 cups water
- 1 pound sliced bacon, quartered
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown or maple sugar
- 1. Place beans in a soup kettle or Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- 2. Drain and rinse beans; discard liquid. Return beans to the pan; add 10 cups water. Bring to a boil Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup liquid.
- 3. Line the bottom of a 4-qt. baking dish with bacon. In a large bowl, combine the beans, onion, salt and mustard. Spoon over bacon. Pour syrup over the top. Cover and bake at 350° for 3 hours, gently stirring occasionally and adding reserved bean liquid if needed.
- 4. Arrange sliced apples over the top. In a small bowl, cream butter and brown sugar; spread over apples. Cover and bake 1 hour longer or until beans are tender. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 each: 427 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 558mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 15g fiber), 17g protein
Reviews for Maple-Apple Baked Beans
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC