I can’t stop nibbling these flaky squares loaded with harvest ingredients. The frozen puff pastry helps simplify the prep work.—Lauren Knoelke, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups finely cubed peeled butternut squash
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup, divided
- 1 fennel bulb, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 4 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Minced fresh thyme, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add squash and 3 tablespoons maple syrup; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender and caramelized. Remove squash; heat remaining butter in skillet. Add fennel and remaining maple syrup; cook and stir 6-8 minutes until tender and caramelized. Return squash to skillet; stir in salt. Remove from heat; refrigerate until cool.
- Unfold puff pastry sheets. In a small bowl, whisk egg and water; brush over pastry. Cut each pastry sheet into 12 pieces; place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Spoon 1 tablespoon fennel mixture onto center of each piece. Sprinkle with cheese and bacon. Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden brown, rotating baking sheets halfway through cooking. If desired, top with fresh thyme leaves. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Maple, Fennel & Squash Bites in Ultimate Halloween 2016, p6
Reviews for Maple, Fennel & Squash Bites
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review