Maple & Blue Cheese Steak Recipe
- 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 pound beef top sirloin steak
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, 5 tablespoons maple syrup, mustard and thyme. Pour 2/3 cup marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add the steak. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for up to 3 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute pecans in oil until toasted. Stir in remaining maple syrup. Bring to a boil; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from skillet and spread onto waxed paper to cool completely.
- 3. Drain and discard marinade. Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper. Grill, over medium heat, for 4-6 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
- 4. Place reserved marinade in small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to 1/4 cup, about 2 minutes. Divide steak slices between two plates. Drizzle with sauce; sprinkle with blue cheese and pecans. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving equals 475 calories, 23 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 689 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.