Manicotti with Spicy Sausage Recipe
- 1 pound bulk spicy Italian sausage
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 jar (26 ounces) marinara sauce
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 18 uncooked manicotti shells
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In the same skillet, bring tomatoes and marinara sauce to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, ricotta, Parmesan cheese, chilies, parsley, Italian seasoning, salt, garlic powder and pepper.
- 3. Divide 2 cups of sauce between two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Stuff uncooked manicotti shells with cheese mixture. Place in prepared pans. Sprinkle with sausage; top with remaining sauce.
- 4. Cover and bake at 375° for 50 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and manicotti is tender. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 418 calories, 18 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 100 mg cholesterol, 846 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 24 g protein.
Reviews for Manicotti with Spicy Sausage
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.