Manicotti with Eggplant Sauce Recipe
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 cup Galbani® Reduced-Fat Ricotta Cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 6 manicotti shells, cooked, rinsed and drained
- 1. In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook and stir the eggplant, onion, garlic, tarragon and thyme until vegetables are tender. Add tomatoes and tomato sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the spinach, ricotta, 1/2 cup mozzarella, egg substitute, Parmesan and parsley; mix well. Stuff into manicotti shells.
- 3. Place in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon eggplant sauce over manicotti; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving equals 252 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 314 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 18 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.