Manicotti with Eggplant Sauce Recipe
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 6 manicotti shells, cooked, rinsed and drained
- In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook and stir the eggplant, onion, garlic, tarragon and thyme until vegetables are tender. Add tomatoes and tomato sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, ricotta, 1/2 cup mozzarella, egg substitute, Parmesan and parsley; mix well. Stuff into manicotti shells.
- Place in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon eggplant sauce over manicotti; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Manicotti with Eggplant Sauce
Sort By :
This is a great recipe! I love finding recipes that call for summer vegetables. Eggplant especially, as I feel that I grow it only to look at because I cant seem to find recipes my family likes made with eggplant. Will make again!
This was delicious. Since it's produce season, I blanched and peeled fresh tomatoes for the sauce and instead of spinach, I used kale that I froze earlier in the summer. Next time, I will add some hot peppers for some heat.
My husband loved it but not being on low sodium diet, he wanted me to add more salt and maybe a little garlic
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Pasta >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Pasta Dinners >