Manicotti shells are filled with a three-cheese mixture, when topped with store-bought spaghetti sauce beefed up with flavorful sausage. Enjoy them with sliced canned pears and frozen garlic bread...or accompany the entree with steamed fresh green beans and warm Italian bread.
- 4 uncooked manicotti shells
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1-1/2 cups meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook manicotti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce.
- Drain manicotti and rinse with cold water. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and pepper. Carefully stuff manicotti. Place in a greased small baking dish. Top with sausage mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Manicotti for Two in Quick Cooking July/August 2003, p51
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Manicotti for Two
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review