Manicotti Crepes Recipe
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 6 eggs
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 slices white bread, cubed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk mild Italian sausage
- 8 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, diced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. Place tomatoes in a blender or food processor; cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a large saucepan; add the water, tomato sauce, sugar, oregano and celery salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer gently, uncovered, for 2 hours or until reduced to about 4-1/2 cups, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat eggs and water. Combine flour and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 3. In a large bowl, soak bread in milk for 5 minutes. Stir in egg, parsley, salt and pepper. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture; mix well. Stir in mozzarella. Cover and refrigerate until assembling.
- 4. Heat 3/4 teaspoon oil in an 8-in. nonstick skillet. Stir crepe batter; pour 3 tablespoons into center of skillet. Lift and tilt pan to coat bottom evenly. Cook until top appears dry; turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, using remaining oil as needed. When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper or paper towels in between.
- 5. Spread about 1/4 cup filling down the center of each crepe; roll up and place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish and 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Spoon sauce over top; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 165°. Yield: 10 servings.
2 filled crepes equals 448 calories, 25 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 213 mg cholesterol, 1,320 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 28 g protein.
Reviews for Manicotti Crepes
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.