Manhattan Clam Chowder Recipe
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons minced green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams, undrained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a 3-qt. saucepan, cook the onion, celery, green pepper and garlic in butter over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Add water and potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 2. Add the tomatoes, clams, salt, thyme, pepper and cayenne; heat through. Stir in parsley. Serve immediately. Yield: 6-8 servings (about 2 quarts).
1 cup: 91 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 652mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein
Reviews for Manhattan Clam Chowder
"Glad to see no bacon. The butter definitely makes up for that. I subbed sage and bay for the thyme, replaced potatoes with red bell pepper and added a bit of Old Bay seasoning (I am from Maryland, btw). It was very delicious. Table side, served it with crusty bread and home-made hot sauce. Thanks for sharing!!!"
"Easy to make, flavor great, family loved it. I doubled the recipe for 8 people. 2 servings for each , each served with bread and salad. Chowder all gone, I will make this again,, the family loved it!,,"
"will make it again everyone loved it Thank you"
"Manhattan clam chowder is rare find in stores or restaurants in my hometown and vicinity when I do find it I love it. But this recipe is better than any where I have found dinning out. Try it if your a fan of this style of chowder."
"This recipe was very good. I put it in the crock pot and let it simmer all day. It was a little watery. I think next time if I use the crock pot, I will use half the amount of water."