- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup ice water
- 5 cups sliced peeled mangoes (about 4 large)
- 2 tablespoons dark rum or orange juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Dash white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, toss mangoes with rum. In a small bowl, mix sugar, tapioca, spices and salt. Gently stir into fruit mixture; let stand 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the coconut on a lightly floured surface. Place one half of dough on coconut; roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Transfer to a 9-in. pie plate, coconut side down. Trim pastry even with rim. Add filling.
- Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; cut into 1/2-in.-wide strips. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom pastry; flute edge.
- Bake 45-50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edge loosely with foil during the last 15 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning. Remove foil. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Mango Pie with Coconut Crust in Taste of Home December 2013
Reviews for Mango Pie with Coconut Crust
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Coconut Pie >
- Coconut Pie Crust >
- Desserts >
- Easter Desserts >
- Easter Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Fruit Pie Recipes >
- Homemade Pie Crust >
- Mother's Day Dessert Recipes >
- Mother's Day Recipes >
- Pie Baking >
- Pie Crust Recipes >
- Pie Crust Recipes with Butter >