Mango Nut Bread
We live on the slopes of Haleakala, where carrots, potatoes, cabbage, bananas, litchis and mangoes are grown. This is my favorite recipe using mangoes.
32 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped mangoes
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or macadamia nuts
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl,
- beat eggs, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until
- moistened. Fold in mangoes, dates and nuts (batter will be stiff).
- Spoon into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for
- 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire
- racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 128 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 83 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.