Mango-Macadamia Upside Down Cake Recipe
“This is a new, tropical version of an old favorite,” writes Carole Resnick of Cleveland, Ohio. “It will bring a bit of summer into your kitchen any time of year.”
- 1 medium mango, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons macadamia nuts, chopped
- CAKE BATTER:
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- Finely chopped crystallized ginger, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine mango and lemon juice. Line a 6-in. round baking pan with parchment paper; coat with cooking spray. Combine brown sugar and butter; spread evenly into prepared pan. Top with mango mixture; sprinkle with nuts. Set aside.
- 2. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking powder, ginger and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Spoon batter over nuts.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate; remove parchment paper. Sprinkle with candied ginger if desired. Serve warm. Yield: 4 servings.
1 slice (calculated without candied ginger) equals 329 calories, 14 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 226 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC