Mandarin Orange Spinach Salad Recipe
With mandarin oranges and a slightly sweet dressing, this spinach salad is a refreshing change of pace. I frequently take it along to summer picnics.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 20 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 7 cups torn romaine
- 7 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1-1/2 cups sliced celery
- 1-1/2 cups sliced green onion
- 3 cans (11 ounces each) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the first five ingredients; shake well. Set aside. In a skillet, cook and stir the almonds and sugar over medium heat until sugar is melted and almonds are coated. Spread on foil to cool completely.
- 2. In a large salad bowl, combine the romaine, spinach, celery and onions. Add oranges and sugared almonds; toss gently. Shake dressing; drizzle over salad and toss to coat. Yield: 24 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 89 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 91 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC