- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, undrained
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, applesauce and oranges. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds; beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 325° for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- In another bowl, beat whipped topping, pineapple and pudding mix. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Chill. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Mandarin Orange Cake
"so love this cake! my step-son Brandon always request it!! awesome! recipe"
"I initially made this cake 22 yrs ago; for a potluck at work. It received rave reviews, and I received regular requests from coworkers to make it afterwards. I'm making it now, for a new group of coworkers; and feel very confident that it'll be well received. I add a little mandarin oranges AND crushed pineapple to the cake mix. Yummy!"
"I have made this cake for years. My version uses one yellow cake mix, one stick of butter, one can oranges w/juices, 1/2 cup oil and 4 eggs. Frosting is the same. Wonderful every time."
"This is a wonderful light tasting cake. I made it for a card group and they all had seconds. Will make this again."
"This cake is so delicious, it is very moist and sooo easy to make!"
"For my version, I created the pudding and whipped cream frosting from scratch and substituted mandarin oranges peeled by hand, not from a can. Otherwise, I followed the recipe. My family loved this delicious cake, even with the changes."
"This is so good and easy to make"
"I have to say...I found this recipe in a TOH book years ago and made it. It was an instant hit...so much so, that my husband requested it as our wedding cake! I actually supplied the recipe to our baker and she made just a couple adjustments - like adding orange liqueur and a different frosting. Its been fabulous both ways!"
"Made this one before and loved it."
"very tasty and super-easy.omitted the icing though-really good"