Mandarin Couscous Salad Recipe
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1. Place water in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Stir in couscous. Cover and remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the oranges, peas, almonds, onion and couscous. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the vinegar, oil, sugar, salt and pepper sauce; shake well. Pour dressing over couscous mixture; toss to coat. Yield: 7 servings.
3/4 cup equals 221 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 108 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 fruit.