Mandarin Beef Skillet Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges
- 1-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Drain the oranges, reserving syrup. Add syrup to the meat mixture; set oranges aside. Stir in 1 cup of water, soy sauce and ginger. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 2. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; stir into meat mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the celery, pepper, water chestnuts and mushrooms. Cover and cook over low heat for 5-7 minutes or until heated through. Serve over rice. Garnish with the oranges. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 202 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 757 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.