Mandarin Avocado Toss Recipe
A perky blend of colors, shapes and textures makes this salad appealing to adults and children alike. My family requests it for its juicy oranges, smooth avocado slices and crunchy almonds and sunflower kernels. It's a breeze to prepare and an ideal luncheon item.
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons cider or red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1 to 2 green onions, chopped
- In a small skillet, saute sunflower kernels and almonds in butter. Cool. Meanwhile, in a jar with tight-fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, salt, mustard and garlic; shake well. In a large salad bowl, toss the lettuce, oranges, avocado, onions and sunflower kernel mixture. Drizzle with dressing. Serve immediately. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Mandarin Avocado Toss in Taste of Home December/January 2000, p25
Reviews for Mandarin Avocado Toss
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review