Here's a refreshing salad that's always a hit at our house. Crisp greens, bright oranges and red onion add pretty color to your meal, and the sweet caramelized almonds provide a unique crunch. This bowl gets passed around until it's empty! —Anne Heinonen, Howell, Michigan
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 bunch red leaf lettuce, torn
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- In a small skillet, melt 3 tablespoons sugar over low heat. Add almonds; stir until coated. Cool; break into small pieces and set aside. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine oil, vinegar, parsley, salt, pepper, hot pepper sauce and remaining sugar; shake well.
- Just before serving, combine lettuce, oranges, onion and almonds in a large salad bowl. Shake dressing; pour over salad and toss. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Mandarin Almond Salad in Taste of Home June/July 1994, p31
Reviews for Mandarin Almond Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review