Great as an appetizer, but you can easily turn this into a meal. Instead of topping bread, serve over warm pasta. —Georgette Stubin, Canton, Michigan
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/3 cup chopped ripe olives
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- French bread baguettes, sliced and toasted
- In a Dutch oven, saute eggplant in 1/4 cup oil until tender. Remove from the pan and set aside. In the same pan, saute onions and celery in remaining oil until tender. Stir in tomatoes and eggplant. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Add the olives, vinegar, sugar, capers, salt and pepper. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until thickened. Serve warm or at room temperature with baguettes. Yield: 6 cups.
Originally published as Mamma's Caponata in Taste of Home February/March 2010, p29
Reviews for Mamma's Caponata
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review