- 1 large eggplant, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/3 cup chopped ripe olives
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- French bread baguettes, sliced and toasted
- In a Dutch oven, saute eggplant in 1/4 cup oil until tender. Remove from the pan and set aside. In the same pan, saute onions and celery in remaining oil until tender. Stir in tomatoes and eggplant. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Add the olives, vinegar, sugar, capers, salt and pepper. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until thickened. Serve warm or at room temperature with baguettes. Yield: 6 cups.
Reviews for Mamma's Caponata
Sort By :
Excellent! I've been searching for a good and easy recipe for caponata for a long time, and I finally found it. Thanks so much for sharing!
Yum! I added garlic and red pepper and left out the olives and capers. This was delicious!
Just simply delicious!!
GREAT TASTING ONLY THING I DID DIFFERENT WAS ADDED FRSH GARLIC AND BASIL TO AT THE END AND TOP THE BREAD OFF WITH A LIITLE FRESH PARMESAN CHEESE MAID IT EXTRA YUMMY
Because I wanted more eggplant, I cut everything in half (but the eggplant). My tomatoes had basil and garlic. This was so yummy!!