Mamie Eisenhower's Fudge Recipe
My mother came across this recipe in a newspaper some 40 years ago. One taste and you'll see why it doesn't take long for a big batch to disappear. —Linda First, Hinsdale, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling YIELD:117 servings
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 3 milk chocolate candy bars (two 7 ounces, one 1.55 ounces), broken into pieces
- 4 cups (24 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 4-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1. Line a 13-in. x 9-in. pan with foil and butter the foil with 1 tablespoon butter; set aside. In a large heat-proof bowl, combine the candy bars, chocolate chips and marshmallow creme; set aside.
- 2. In a large heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the milk, sugar and remaining butter. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for 4-1/2 minutes. Pour over chocolate mixture; stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth and creamy. Stir in walnuts. Pour into prepared pan. Cover and refrigerate until firm.
- 3. Using foil, lift fudge out of pan; cut into 1-in. squares. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: about 6 pounds.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 107 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 17 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC