Mamie Eisenhower's Fudge Recipe
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 3 milk chocolate candy bars (two 7 ounces, one 1.55 ounces), broken into pieces
- 4 cups (24 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 4-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts
- Line a 13-in. x 9-in. pan with foil and butter the foil with 1 tablespoon butter; set aside. In a large heat-proof bowl, combine the candy bars, chocolate chips and marshmallow creme; set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the milk, sugar and remaining butter. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for 4-1/2 minutes. Pour over chocolate mixture; stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth and creamy. Stir in walnuts. Pour into prepared pan. Cover and refrigerate until firm.
- Using foil, lift fudge out of pan; cut into 1-in. squares. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: about 6 pounds.
Reviews for Mamie Eisenhower's Fudge(15)
Sort By :
My mother wrote down the original recipe from a cooking show when the Eisenhower's were in the White House and we have been making it every year since the 1950's and THIS IS NOT IT. The original recipe has German Chocolate and the sugar, milk, butter mixture cooks to a soft ball stage and it takes about 30 minutes with constant stirring.
i've been using a recipe from 'Talk About Good" by Lafayette Junior League Members for well over 20 yrs. this recipe calls for german sweet chocolate bars, now i'm sure german sweet chocolate wasn't around back then, but it's fabulous. i use pecans instead of walnuts. i rated this recipe a 4 and a 5 with german sweet chocolate
This sounds wonderful, but I have not made it yet, so I'll have to give it an average rating. And I'm wondering why is there no Vanilla put in it at the end? All the fudges I've made has always called for Vanilla.
I just visited the Eisenhower home in Gettysburg, Pa. and was given a copy of Mamie's fudge recipe. It is completly different. Sorry.....
WOW! Very good made them 2 days ago changed up the walnuts to pecans are personal fav here. You have to try it...
More Recipe Collections
- Candy Recipes >
- Chocolate Candy Recipes >
- Chocolate Chip Recipes >
- Chocolate Fudge >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Christmas Candy >
- Christmas Candy >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Fudge >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Fudge >
- Fudge Candy >
- Fudge Recipes >