- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 3 milk chocolate candy bars (two 7 ounces, one 1.55 ounces), broken into pieces
- 4 cups (24 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 4-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- Line a 13-in. x 9-in. pan with foil and butter the foil with 1 tablespoon butter; set aside. In a large heat-proof bowl, combine the candy bars, chocolate chips and marshmallow creme; set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the milk, sugar and remaining butter. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for 4-1/2 minutes. Pour over chocolate mixture; stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth and creamy. Stir in walnuts. Pour into prepared pan. Cover and refrigerate until firm.
- Using foil, lift fudge out of pan; cut into 1-in. squares. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: about 6 pounds.
Reviews for Mamie Eisenhower's Fudge
Sort By :
"I LOVE this recipe!!!!! It is DELICIOUS!!! Although I did mess it up at first and didn't follow EXACT directions, but it's GOOD that I didn't. I live in Southern California, and I am not sure if the warm weather effects the density of the fudge? But I just used 3 Hershey bars, and didn't read right the ounce size of the bars...and the recipe turned out awesome! When I used the ounces called for in the recipe with the 2 large bars, and 1 regular sized bar...the fudge comes out waaayyy to soft and sticky. When I use just 3 REGULAR sized Hershey bars - it comes out with perfect texture to cut and package. Also I used Ghirardelli Milk chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet chocolate chips, and blended almonds in the blender...and it is milkalicious! Try the recipe again using these tips and see if that helps if you live in a warmer area, in lower altitude? :D"
"Great fudge easy to make and my family loved it. My favorite fudge recipe. Will make it often"
"My family has been making Mamie Eisenhower fudge for 60 years and this is not the recipe that was used in the White House. This may be very good fudge, but it is not Mamie's recipe. Please change the name."
"My dad raved about this fudge when I made it last year. Just made it again this year - I can see it becoming an annual tradition. This fudge has a very traditional , old fashioned taste to it. I can't find Hershey bars in the sizes stated in the recipe, so I buy bars that equal about 16 ounces & it works just fine."
"I made this for my work place, using the recipe as is, and even if it isn't the exact original it was fantastic. Everybody loved it a and wants more."