- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup finely chopped strawberries
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup crushed strawberries
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line the bottoms of two greased 8-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, gelatin, sugar and flour. Add water, oil and eggs; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Fold in chopped strawberries. Transfer to prepared pans.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter until creamy. Beat in crushed strawberries. Gradually beat in enough confectioners’ sugar to reach desired consistency. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Mamaw Emily's Strawberry Cake
"The cake recipe is a winner BUT skip the icing, it way too sweet. I wish I had read the reviews before I dove into this one. The cake recipe came out great and can see adapting this with other combos of jello and fruit, maybe lime :) The icing didn't do it for me, others suggested a cream cheese icing would work much better. Icing out the tub or even cool whip would be better that the suggested icing."
"Practically the same recipe as ours. I wonder why she put in extra flour and sugar. We don't. Also I use 4 eggs."
"Made this delicious cake for a naranon meeting and it disappeared in minutes. Thank you for this wonderful recipe. I am making it again for mother's day."
"My husband went through the first in two days Came home today with the cake mix , jello and strawberries for a repeat please!"
"THIS is amazing. Super moist and flavorful. Strawberry buttercream! I'm putting some on my cookies for Valentine's Day!"
"I made this last year for my daughters birthday,she and everyone else loved it. It was so easy to make. I used cool whip frosting and added red food coloring and some fresh chopped strawberries. It was a big hit with my family. I will make it again this year for my husbands and my anniversary. It is so good!! Lala from Nashville"
"h my gosh this is one of the best cakes I've made. Very tasty and moist. I didn't make the frosting but next time I will. This will go with my favorite recipes"
"Wonderful Recipe! I made a 13 * 9 and baked it about 26 minutes. The only change I made was to the frosting. I used mashed strawberries In a heavy syrup instead of crushed fresh strawberries. I wanted more strawberry flavor and this was perfect. Creamed the butter and a tablespoon of the strawberries then beat in powdered sugar. Added small amounts of strawberries until i got the right consistency desired. Served the cake with a really good vanilla ice cream and dribbled a little of the remaining strawberry syrup concoction over the top. People made themselves miserable with second servings."
"I made this for a baby shower, but as cupcakes not a tiered cake. Baked them at 350 for about 25 min. Also, I used a whipped cream "icing" instead of a buttercream (the same recipe as the Snow Globe cake here on Taste of Home, with about 1/4 tsp added strawberry flavour) and they tasted like strawberries and cream. Got tons of rave reviews from everybody at the shower. ??"