- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup finely chopped strawberries
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup crushed strawberries
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line the bottoms of two greased 8-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, gelatin, sugar and flour. Add water, oil and eggs; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Fold in chopped strawberries. Transfer to prepared pans.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter until creamy. Beat in crushed strawberries. Gradually beat in enough confectioners’ sugar to reach desired consistency. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Mamaw Emily's Strawberry Cake
"Super Strawberry cake! Will make it over and over this summer. I just made couple of changes; used 5 tbsp. self rising flour instead of 3 of all purpose (gives the cake a home-made taste) and skipped the 3 spoons of sugar. Added 8 oz cream cheese and 1/2 cup whipping cream to the icing. It was absolutely delicious! Thank you!"
"When I made this recipe two months ago I put cream cheese icing on it and decorated the top with sliced strawberries to look like a rose. My family loves it and have now asked me to make a total of five times."
"Best strawberry cake ever! I made this as a birthday cake with an additional lemon cake layer per the request of my 17-year-old daughter. Moist, homemade flavor even though it's from a box and has flavored gelatin. I was skeptical, but now throughly impressed. It was a real hit! I use a good avocado oil for baking instead of canola or veg oil. I used a food chopper to chop strawberries. They were perfect! Not too fine and not too big. I used the frosting recipe - ingredients only but with different measurements, plus added cream cheese to it and made it as a filling between the layers ( not nearly as sweet that way, as others had mentioned), and frosted with White icing. I tripled this recipe and baked it in a 12 x 12 x 2 pan. Only used about 2 1/2 of the recipes instead of the full tripled amount to fill the pan. It came out perfect! I used nonstick spray on pan as well as the parchment paper and sprayed paper. Do not let cake cool completely in pan. Only cool cake about 10-15 min on a cooling rack. Took a knife and wen along the edges of the pan to release any possibly stuck sides. I noticed that the gelatin with the sugar may stick a little bit, but it's not bad. Then placed another piece of parchment paper on the top of the cake, placed cooling rack on top of the cake and while holding both cooling rack and pan flipped cake over and let it sit for a moment. Shook gently. Removed pan. Nothing stuck! Just a thought, but usually can't go wrong when a cake recipe begins with Mamaw."
"I made this last weekend. I used strawberry cake mix instead of white. Crushed strawberries I used in cool whip in place of the frosting, and put in the fridge, delicious!!!"
"cake is very good, but will fall due to the weight of the strawberries. This icing recipe is extremely sweet and doesn't set up, so next time I will use a frosting recipe with cream cheese."
"The cake recipe is a winner BUT skip the icing, it way too sweet. I wish I had read the reviews before I dove into this one. The cake recipe came out great and can see adapting this with other combos of jello and fruit, maybe lime :) The icing didn't do it for me, others suggested a cream cheese icing would work much better. Icing out the tub or even cool whip would be better that the suggested icing."
"Practically the same recipe as ours. I wonder why she put in extra flour and sugar. We don't. Also I use 4 eggs."
"Made this delicious cake for a naranon meeting and it disappeared in minutes. Thank you for this wonderful recipe. I am making it again for mother's day."
"My husband went through the first in two days Came home today with the cake mix , jello and strawberries for a repeat please!"