- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup finely chopped strawberries
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup crushed strawberries
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line the bottoms of two greased 8-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, gelatin, sugar and flour. Add water, oil and eggs; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Fold in chopped strawberries. Transfer to prepared pans.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter until creamy. Beat in crushed strawberries. Gradually beat in enough confectioners’ sugar to reach desired consistency. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Mamaw Emily's Strawberry Cake
"THIS is amazing. Super moist and flavorful. Strawberry buttercream! I'm putting some on my cookies for Valentine's Day!"
"I made this last year for my daughters birthday,she and everyone else loved it. It was so easy to make. I used cool whip frosting and added red food coloring and some fresh chopped strawberries. It was a big hit with my family. I will make it again this year for my husbands and my anniversary. It is so good!! Lala from Nashville"
"This cake is so good! It's fairly easy to make and always seems to impress! I have sometimes frosted this cake with just a regular cream cheese icing, which is very good too. This is a perfect cake for spring and summer. ,"
"h my gosh this is one of the best cakes I've made. Very tasty and moist. I didn't make the frosting but next time I will. This will go with my favorite recipes"
"Wonderful Recipe! I made a 13 * 9 and baked it about 26 minutes. The only change I made was to the frosting. I used mashed strawberries In a heavy syrup instead of crushed fresh strawberries. I wanted more strawberry flavor and this was perfect. Creamed the butter and a tablespoon of the strawberries then beat in powdered sugar. Added small amounts of strawberries until i got the right consistency desired. Served the cake with a really good vanilla ice cream and dribbled a little of the remaining strawberry syrup concoction over the top. People made themselves miserable with second servings."
"I made this for a baby shower, but as cupcakes not a tiered cake. Baked them at 350 for about 25 min. Also, I used a whipped cream "icing" instead of a buttercream (the same recipe as the Snow Globe cake here on Taste of Home, with about 1/4 tsp added strawberry flavour) and they tasted like strawberries and cream. Got tons of rave reviews from everybody at the shower. ??"
"Thank you for sharing, Jennifer. It is a keeper."
"I started making this 46 years ago. It was called Strawberry Jello Cake. Used no sugar or flour. Just cake mix, strawberry jello, 3 eggs, oil, water and 10 oz bag of frozen strawberries. Separate strawberries from juice (save juice for glaze). Baked in 13 x 9 pan. For glaze, 1 16 oz bag powdered sugar, little melted butter and strawberry juice. Mix and pour over cooled cake. Take a fork and poke cake all over before pouring glaze."
"A deliciously fabulous cake - a real family favorite! Made it for my own 3-tiered wedding cake, and every last bite was gone!!"