- heat; cool.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks; gradually stir in spice mixture.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda; gradually add
- to spice mixture until blended. Stir in pecans. In a small bowl,
- beat egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into the batter.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at
- 325° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until
- fluffy. Add vanilla and salt. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar
- until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides
- of cake. Garnish with pecans if desired. Store in the refrigerator.
- Yield: 12-16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 482 calories, 22 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 99 mg cholesterol, 353 mg sodium, 69 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.