Mama's Spice Cake Recipe
Whenever I get a craving for a tasty old-fashioned treat, I make this cake. Great cooks in my family have been baking it for generations, and their families have been enjoying the wonderful spice flavor and rich frosting. -Nancy Duty, Jacksonville, Florida
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling YIELD:12-16 servings
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup raisins, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Additional chopped pecans, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients; cook and stir over medium-low heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; cool.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks; gradually stir in spice mixture. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda; gradually add to spice mixture until blended. Stir in pecans. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into the batter.
- 3. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add vanilla and salt. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Garnish with pecans if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 482 calories, 22 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 99 mg cholesterol, 353 mg sodium, 69 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC