- remaining salt until stiff peaks form; gently fold into batter. Pour
- into three greased 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for
- 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out clean (if wood burning stove is used, start peeking after 25
- minutes). Cool in pans for 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool
- For icing, combine sugar, egg whites, water and corn syrup in a heavy
- saucepan or double boiler. With a portable mixer, beat on low for 1
- minute. Continue beating on low speed over low heat until frosting
- reaches 160°, about 8-10 minutes. Pour into a bowl; add vanilla.
- Beat on high until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes. Place one cake
- layer on a serving plate. Spread with frosting and sprinkle with
- coconut. Repeat. Top with last layer. Frost top and sides of cake;
- sprinkle with coconut. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 430 calories, 15 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 327 mg sodium, 69 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.