- 3 to 3-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 10 medium)
- 6 hard-cooked eggs
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Additional hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- In a large kettle, cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender. Drain and cool. Peel potatoes; cut into chunks. Separate egg yolks from whites. Set yolks aside. Chop whites and add to potatoes with onion.
- In a small bowl, mash yolks. Stir in mayonnaise, milk, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper. Pour over potatoes; toss well. Adjust seasonings if necessary. Spoon into a serving bowl. Garnish with egg slices and paprika. Chill until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Mama's Potato Salad
Sort By :
"This was how my Gram made hers - and in 33 years I have yet to find one that compares. Thank you for posting this!"
"it was a hit with my family."
"The evaporated milk is an unusual addition, but I'll give it a go. You could also make it with plain yogurt instead of milk or salad cream instead of mayo and the other ingredients."
"I wasn't crazy about the consistency. The flavor was good but I made this early afternoon, and when it was time to eat it, the mayo sauce had turned a LOT thinner than it was when I first made it. I was embarrassed; even though it wasn't tasting bad, the thin sauce was not how I had expected it to be. I will not make it again."
"Very yummy salad! I did think the sauce needed more salt, and I added some dill. And letting it sit really helped the flavours blend - this technique of adding mashed egg yolks to the dressing is really good and different."