- 3 to 3-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 10 medium)
- 6 hard-cooked eggs
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Additional hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- In a large kettle, cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender. Drain and cool. Peel potatoes; cut into chunks. Separate egg yolks from whites. Set yolks aside. Chop whites and add to potatoes with onion.
- In a small bowl, mash yolks. Stir in mayonnaise, milk, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper. Pour over potatoes; toss well. Adjust seasonings if necessary. Spoon into a serving bowl. Garnish with egg slices and paprika. Chill until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Mama's Potato Salad
"Is this a universal recipe? My mother and grandmother made it this way. Occasionally would add some chopped green or red pepper."
"Just like my family has made for as long as I can remember"
"I made this potatoe salad today and it was great! Everyone loved it. Thanks"
"Very good but l just couldn't put all that sugar in. I made 11/2 times the recipe with 2 times the dressing. I put in some chopped chives for colour. I put in 1 tbsp of sugar. Janet. FE"
"This was how my Gram made hers - and in 33 years I have yet to find one that compares. Thank you for posting this!"