“My great-grandmother used to make this delicious pound cake on a weekly basis,” writes Tonya Peele of Wake Forest, North Carolina. Makeover Mama Cake tastes just as good as the original! We think Tonya and her family will enjoy this recipe for years to come.
Featured In: 23 of Our Most Decadent Chocolate Desserts
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon yellow food coloring, optional
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- Grease a 10-in. fluted tube pan and lightly sprinkle with flour; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the evaporated milk, water, extracts and food coloring if desired; add to the creamed mixture alternately with flour, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Mama Cake in Healthy Cooking
Reviews for Mama Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review