Maltese Stew Recipe
While growing up on the island of Malta, my mother ate this slightly spicy stew often. The recipe has been in the family for generations. Now I'm passing it on to my children...and you!
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (1-1/2 to 2 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch ground cloves
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle over medium heat, cook pork and onions in oil for 10-12 minutes or until pork is browned and onions are soft. In a bowl, combine 1 cup broth and tomato paste until smooth; add to pork mixture. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in vinegar, browning sauce and seasonings, cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Add potatoes, peas and remaining broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until pork and potatoes are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup: 346 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 499mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 31g protein .
Reviews for Maltese Stew
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC