Malted Chocolate & Stout Layer Cake Recipe
If you want a dessert that will "take the cake" at your St. Patrick's Day celebration, look no further! The rich chocolate cake is incredibly moist and has a nice malt flavor that's perfectly complemented by the Irish cream frosting. —Jennifer Wayland, Morris Plains, New Jersey
- 2 cups stout beer
- 1-3/4 cups butter, cubed
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup malted milk powder
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 3-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup Irish cream liqueur
- 12 egg yolks, beaten
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup malted milk powder
- Grease and flour three 9-in. round baking pans; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine beer, butter and chocolate. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until butter and chocolate are melted. Remove from heat; whisk in milk powder and cocoa. Transfer to a large bowl. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Add sour cream and eggs to chocolate mixture; beat until well blended. Combine sugar, flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into chocolate mixture until blended. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 32-36 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large heavy saucepan, bring sugar and liqueur to a gentle boil over medium heat; cook until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Add a small amount of hot mixture to egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Cook 2 minutes longer or until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl with a whisk attachment, cream butter until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Gradually beat in sugar mixture. Add milk powder; beat until fluffy, about 5 minutes. If necessary, refrigerate until frosting reaches spreading consistency.
- Place bottom cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup frosting. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Malted Chocolate & Stout Layer Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p194
Reviews for Malted Chocolate & Stout Layer Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 24, 2014
"LOL. No rating. Just had to laugh when I saw the calories per serving. Have never seen anything like it before. But it sounds yummy!"
Reviewed Mar. 17, 2013