Mallow-Topped Sweet Potatoes
My grandmother always served this sweet potato casserole at Thanksgiving. The puffy marshmallow topping gives the dish a festive look, and spices enhance the sweet potato flavor.
-Edna Hoffman, Hebron, Indiana
10-12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 6 cups hot mashed sweet potatoes (prepared without milk and butter)
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 18 large marshmallows
- In a large bowl, beat the sweet potatoes, milk, butter, brown sugar,
- egg, cinnamon, vanilla, allspice, salt and nutmeg until smooth.
- Transfer to a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered,
- at 325° for 40-45 minutes or until heated through. Top with
- marshmallows. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until marshmallows just
- begin to puff and brown. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 312 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 201 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.