From East Moline, Illinois, Mandy Anderson's revised one-dish wonder boasts nearly 60% less saturated fat, 199 fewer calories and 46% less sodium per serving! But it's more colorful, nutritious and with all the cheesy, melt-in-your-mouth flavor her husband loves.
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound reduced-fat bulk pork sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 cups cubed day-old whole wheat bread
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chopped zucchini
- 3/4 pound reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, sausage, onion, carrot and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are crisp-tender. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine bread cubes and milk; set aside.
- Remove meat mixture from the heat; drain. Stir in flour until blended. Stir in bread mixture and remaining ingredients. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Uncover and stir. Bake 8-12 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Zucchini Supper in Light & Tasty August/September 2007, p9
Reviews for Makeover Zucchini Supper
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review