Makeover Zucchini Apple Bread Recipe
Flavored with cinnamon and nutmeg, Makeover Zucchini Apple Bread delivers plenty of down-home goodness. The recipe yields three nut-filled loaves, but contains nearly 60% less fat than the recipe Kathy followed. Best of all, the sugar was decreased by 28%.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling YIELD:36 servings
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup grated peeled apples
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. In a large bowl, beat the eggs until frothy. Add the oil, applesauce, sugars and vanilla; beat until blended. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the zucchini, apples and pecans.
- 2. Transfer to three 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 3 loaves (12 slices each).
1 slice equals 161 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 128 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC