Makeover White Layer Cake Recipe
Compared to the original recipe it is modified from, this pared-down dessert has nearly 60% less fat, just half the cholesterol and about a quarter less calories and sodium.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 1% milk
- 1. Coat two 9-in. round baking pans with cooking spray and dust with flour; set aside. In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar for about 2 minutes or until crumbly. Gradually add egg whites, beating well. Beat in applesauce and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to batter alternately with buttermilk until combined.
- 2. Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, in a bowl, beat confectioners' sugar, butter, corn syrup, vanilla and salt. Beat in enough milk until frosting achieves spreading consistency. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 14 servings.
One piece equals 330 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 256 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC