Makeover White Christmas Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/8 teaspoon rum extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 ounces white baking chocolate, melted
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in chocolate until melted. Cool for 20 minutes. Line two 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper and coat the paper with cooking spray; set aside.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the applesauce, extract and reserved chocolate mixture (batter will appear curdled). Combine the flours, baking powder and baking soda; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in pecans and coconut.
- 3. Transfer to prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 22-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and chocolate until blended. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Remove from the refrigerator 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice: 396 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 222mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Makeover White Christmas Cake
"I had to look this one up to make again - it's a DELICIOUS cake!"