Makeover Ultimate Corn Bread Recipe
With an impressive 71% less cholesterol and 80% less fat, Makeover Ultimate Corn Bread is a heart-smart success. The sugar was cut in half and 190 calories were eliminated from the original recipe. The makeover bread tastes very good. Thank you so much for making it lighter! —Nita Cameron, Tacoma, Washington
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In another bowl, beat the egg, egg white, buttermilk, milk, applesauce, butter, honey and butter flavoring if desired; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. Pour into a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 15 minutes before cutting. Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece equals 200 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 419 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC