Makeover Ultimate Corn Bread Recipe
With an impressive 71% less cholesterol and 80% less fat, Makeover Ultimate Corn Bread is a heart-smart success. The sugar was cut in half and 190 calories were eliminated from the original recipe. The makeover bread tastes very good. Thank you so much for making it lighter! —Nita Cameron, Tacoma, Washington
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In another bowl, beat the egg, egg white, buttermilk, milk, applesauce, butter, honey and butter flavoring if desired; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour into a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 15 minutes before cutting. Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Ultimate Corn Bread in Light & Tasty February/March 2006, p13
Reviews for Makeover Ultimate Corn Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 6, 2012
This is my go to cornbread recipe. Not only is it healthier, it is very delicious. I love the tiny bit of sweet flavor with the honey. This cornbread has also turned out well every time I have made it, have never had any problems. Love it!!!!!!