Makeover Two-Tone Spice Cake Recipe
This is a delicious and decadent cake with half the fat and a third less calories than the over-the-top original. —Michele Wedige, Shullsburg, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:16 servings
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1-3/4 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- SOUR CREAM FROSTING:
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1. Line two 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper. Coat pans with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in applesauce.
- 3. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, allspice and nutmeg. Add to the butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Stir in nuts. Spread into prepared pans.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 5. For frosting, in a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar. Beat in sour cream and vanilla. Place one cake layer on a serving platter; top with half of the frosting. Repeat layers.
- 6. In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Cool for 2 minutes; drizzle over cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
1 piece equals 303 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 225 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC