A slimmed-downed version of this classic by using substituting 1% milk, turkey bacon and reduced-fat cheddar cheese. Try this version and see if you family can tell difference.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
Recommended: 80 Recipes for Serious Potato Lovers
- 6 large baking potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 1/4 pound turkey bacon (about 9 slices), diced and cooked
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- Bake the potatoes at 375° for 1 hour or until tender. Cool. Cut a thin slice off the top of each potato and discard. Scoop out pulp, leaving a thin shell. In a large bowl, mash the pulp with butter. Stir in the milk, bacon, 1 cup of cheese, chives, salt and pepper. Spoon into the potato shells.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Twice-Baked Potatoes in Light & Tasty February/March 2001, p48
Reviews for Makeover Twice-Baked Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 23, 2012
"Thanksgiving guests approved! Excellent dish."