Makeover Tuna Melt Bites Recipe
- 2 cans (5 ounces each) light water-packed tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 whole wheat hot dog buns, split
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 3 slices reduced-fat cheddar cheese, quartered
- 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients; set aside. Place hot dog buns cut side up on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- 2. Spoon tuna mixture over bottom halves; top with tomato and cheese slices. Broil 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Top with spinach. Replace bun tops. Secure with toothpicks; cut each sandwich into thirds. Yield: 4 servings.
3 each: 274 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 806mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 27g protein.
Reviews for Makeover Tuna Melt Bites
"This recipe is similar to one I use with the following differences: I wash the tuna in addition to draining it ( I am sodium sensitive),I skip the spinach which does not agree with me, and sometime add a T. chopped bread & butter pickles."
"The do sell tuna "drainers"."
"It serves 4, because there are four buns, but into 3 pieces...3 pieces equal 1 serving."
"I believe it will fill 4 hot dog buns...each of which are cut in thirds. 4 servings"
"How does it provide 4 servings when it's cut into thirds?"
"Great recipe! On draining the tuna - if you have a round potato masher, it works like a dream - just push it into the can and tuna is drained!!"
"I had a hard time draining the tuna enough and had to add bread crumbs; next time I will use tuna in the pouch so I don't have to worry about draining it. It tasted good anyway!"