Makeover Tuna Melt Bites Recipe
- 2 cans (5 ounces each) light water-packed tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 whole wheat hot dog buns, split
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 3 slices reduced-fat cheddar cheese, quartered
- 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach
- In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients; set aside. Place hot dog buns cut side up on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Spoon tuna mixture over bottom halves; top with tomato and cheese slices. Broil 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Top with spinach. Replace bun tops. Secure with toothpicks; cut each sandwich into thirds. Yield: 4 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Makeover Tuna Melt Bites(7)
Sort By :
This recipe is similar to one I use with the following differences: I wash the tuna in addition to draining it ( I am sodium sensitive),
I skip the spinach which does not agree with me, and sometime add a T. chopped bread & butter pickles.
The do sell tuna "drainers".
It serves 4, because there are four buns, but into 3 pieces...3 pieces equal 1 serving.
I believe it will fill 4 hot dog buns...each of which are cut in thirds. 4 servings
How does it provide 4 servings when it's cut into thirds?
More Recipe Collections
- Carrot Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Fish Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Sandwich Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Sandwiches >
- Makeover Main Dish Recipes >
- Makeover Recipes >