For a healthier take on this diner special, our test kitchen updated to tinier "tuna melt bites," pumped up nutrition with whole wheat buns, slashed calories by substituting fat-free mayo and reduced-fat cheese, and added tomato and spinach on top. Give these a try! Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cans (5 ounces each) light water-packed tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 whole wheat hot dog buns, split
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 3 slices reduced-fat cheddar cheese, quartered
- 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach
- In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients; set aside. Place hot dog buns cut side up on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Spoon tuna mixture over bottom halves; top with tomato and cheese slices. Broil 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Top with spinach. Replace bun tops. Secure with toothpicks; cut each sandwich into thirds. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Tuna Melt Bites in Healthy Cooking February/March 2010, p22
Reviews for Makeover Tuna Melt Bites
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review