- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef (95% lean)
- 1 package (14 ounces) breakfast turkey sausage links, casings removed and crumbled
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 9 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 2% cottage cheese
- 1 carton (15 ounces) reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic, sugar, Italian seasoning and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions; drain.
- In a small bowl, combine the eggs, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, Parmesan and parsley. Spread 1 cup meat sauce into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with three noodles, half of the cheese mixture, 1-1/3 cups sauce and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles and sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until bubbly. Top with provolone and remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Makeover Traditional Lasagna
"Very good recipe - delicious"
"To make it gluten free I just used the rice lasagna noodles. Tasted great!"
"Absolutely Amazing! I like it more than traditional lasagna!"