Makeover Tater-Topped Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and drained
- 3/4 cup French-fried onions
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 4 cups frozen Tater Tots, thawed
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and turkey over medium heat until no longer pink. In a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer the meat mixture, vegetables and onions.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine soups and milk; spread over onions. Top with Tater Tots. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup equals 340 calories, 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 657 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Reviews for Makeover Tater-Topped Casserole
"very good. I also used reduced fat crm mushroom instead of celery; alot of flavor. Will add more onions next time."
"This was a good! It lacked extra flavor. I added cheddar cheese on top of the soup and used celery instead of the mixed veggies. It was still delicious, but I would have liked a little more flavor."
"Delicious! Added salt and pepper, and used cream of mushroom instead of the celery. We are in MN after all. Thanks!"
"now a family favorite!"
"Delicious! I added a tiny bit of cheddar cheese too. If you don't thaw the tots, it makes a great Freezer Recipe!"
"My whole family loved it! This is one of the more flavorful recipes of Tater-Topped hotdishes I've found!"
"My husband loves this! Makes plenty! I don't use the reduced-fat soups but that's OK. I also like to sprinkle some shredded cheddar on the top & let it melt the last few minutes it cooks. :)"
"Excellent Casserole! My family loved it!"
"This recipe has become a favorite in my house. I have also made it for friends that needed a meal."
"So easy and very good. I agree some salt and pepper is definitely needed! I used cream of mushroom soup in place of the cream of celery soup."
"This was casserole was delicious comfort food and so easy to make. I probably would just add some salt and pepper to the meat for a little extra seasoning."
"I like to cook healthy and usually stay away from casseroles with creamy soups, but this was great for a change of pace and you can't beat the nutrition, using lower-fat soups! Great comfort food, reminded me of my childhood."
"This recipe is ok; there really isn't much flavor to it. Would not recommend."
"A crowd pleaser! Everyone loves it - I omit the french fried onions and use cream of celery and cheddar soup. I also add onions. Yummy!"
"My kids really loved this recipe and it was a great way to get their veggies in also. It will become a regular recipe at our house."
"My family really likes this recipe. It is filling which is important at my house. I have made this 4 or 5 times since the recipe was published."
"Yes, I was logged in. Here's the message I'm getting. I had this problem before and wrote to customer service. In a few days, they replied that they thought they had found the problem and I should be good to go now.... not!!! I'll write to them again, but it's frustrating when I am a subscriber. Shouldn't be this difficult!"
"did you log in? or how did you get here to leave a comment?"
"This recipe is available only to magazine subscibers. Well, I AM a subscriber! Why can't I access this recipe?????????????"