This skillet supper is a real flavor sensation. Our Test Kitchen transformed it into a much-better-for-you version that you can be proud to serve. —Natalie Simons, Akron, Ohio
- 3 cups uncooked whole wheat spiral pasta
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon water
- 8 ounces smoked turkey sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, place potatoes and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the sausage, green pepper and onion in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the tomatoes, cream, salt, pepper and potatoes; heat through. Drain pasta; stir into skillet. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Sweet Potato Sausage Skillet in Healthy Cooking August/September 2010, p22
Reviews for Makeover Sweet Potato Sausage Skillet
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review