- 3 cups uncooked whole wheat spiral pasta
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon water
- 8 ounces smoked turkey sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, place potatoes and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the sausage, green pepper and onion in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the tomatoes, cream, salt, pepper and potatoes; heat through. Drain pasta; stir into skillet. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Makeover Sweet Potato Sausage Skillet
Sort By :
We really enjoyed this recipe, probably because we love sweet potatoes
Yummy! I used white potato since I rarely have sweet potatoes; and milk with butter instead of half and half. My tomatoes had green chilis in them which really gave it a kick! I ended up thickening the sauce with a few tablespoons of flour because my milk curdled a bit, it saved the day! Oh! and I added some pinto beans and avocado :)
It was easy to make and tasted good especially if you like sweet potatoes. The sausage along with the bell peppers and onions gave it enough flavor for our liking.
We did not care for this at all.
This was simple, and good. My kids loved it which says a lot. I agree it could use a little kick or something but if i make it for my kids they won't eat anything even remotely spicy. I was so happy that they liked it though!