Makeover Sweet Kugel Recipe
This is a traditional recipe I make for the holidays. My close friend and I used to bake together until she moved 1,300 miles away. Now when I make this dish, I’m reminded of our time together. —Eileen Wolf, Abington, Pennsylvania
- 1 package (12 ounces) yolk-free noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 jar (10 ounces) apricot preserves
- 1. Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Toss with butter and apple; set aside. Meanwhile, beat the sour cream, cream cheese, sugar, eggs, egg whites, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and vanilla until well blended. Beat in milk. Stir in noodle mixture.
- 2. In a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer half of the noodle mixture, all of the preserves and the remaining noodle mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
- 3. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving equals 353 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 182 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC