Makeover Sunday Brunch Casserole Recipe
- 6 bacon strips
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 cartons (8 ounces each) egg substitute
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain. Crumble bacon and set aside. In the same skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender; remove with a slotted spoon.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk the egg substitute, eggs and milk. Stir in the hash browns, cheese, salt, pepper, dill, onion mixture and bacon.
- 3. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 181 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 122 mg cholesterol, 591 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.