Makeover Summer Squash Casserole Recipe
With a buttery cracker topping and lots of cheese, this lightened up classic casserole from Lisa Eldridge of Topeka, Kansas makes a guilt-free side dish at any meal. "I got the original recipe from a friend," Lisa notes. "And it is excellent."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing YIELD:15 servings
- 3 pounds yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 reduced-fat butter-flavored crackers, crushed
- 1. Place squash in a large saucepan or Dutch oven; add 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet, saute onions in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Add squash; stir gently to combine. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, eggs, egg whites, milk, cheese, salt and pepper. Pour over squash mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes.
- 4. Melt remaining butter; toss with cracker crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole; bake 5 minutes longer or until crumbs are golden brown and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 15 servings.
1 serving equals 210 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 95 mg cholesterol, 310 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC